Below is a brief timeline of some of the noteworthy moments and events in the history of the Adirondack Forty-Sixers.
August 1, 1918 — Robert and George Marshall and Herbert Clark climb Whiteface Mt., their first Adirondack High Peak. 1922 — Robert Marshall publishes “The Adirondack High Peaks,” a small booklet printed by the Adirondack Mountain Club that recounts the trio’s climbs of 42 of the 46 High Peaks.
June 10, 1925 — Robert and George Marshall and Herbert Clark finish the 46 with a climb of Mt. Emmons.
July 1932 — Edward Hudowalski leads his Sunday school class on their first hike – a backpacking trip to climb Marcy, Basin, and Saddleback.
September 13, 1936 — Edward Hudowalski and the Rev Ernest Ryder complete the 46 on Dix Mt.
August 26, 1937 — Grace Hudowalski becomes the first woman to complete the 46 with a climb of Esther Mt.February 1937 — The hiking club called the Forty-Sixers of Troy is formed, comprised mainly of Edward Hudowalski’s Sunday school class, and Ed designs the 46er patch.
July 29 & 30, 1939 — The Forty-Sixers of Troy host the Esther Centennial, a two-day celebration commemorating the first recorded ascent of Mt. Esther and place a plaque on Esther’s summit rock.
October 1940/May 1941 — The Forty-Sixers of Troy submit petitions to the State Board of Geographic Names for the official and permanent naming of Blake’s Peak, Couchsachraga, Mount Marshall, Mount Phelps, Mount Emmons, Gray Peak, Mount Wright, Mount Algonquin, and Mount Boundary.
May 30, 1948 — The inaugural meeting of the Adirondack Forty-Sixers is held at Adirondak Loj.
August 20, 1949 — The Adirondack Forty-Sixers host a Haystack Centennial hike to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the first documented ascent of the peak by Adirondack guide Orson S. “Old Mountain” Phelps, along with two companions Almeron Oliver and George Estey.
September 3, 1950 — The first official canister and register log is placed on the summit of Mount Emmons. Over the next several years the 46ers place canister and register logs on all of the summits of the trailless peaks.
1951 — The first 46er emblem items are offered for sale to club members – lapel pins, tie clasps, and cuff links.
1958 — The club publishes its first book, the 147-page The Adirondack Forty-Sixers. Fall/Winter 1963-64 — The club begins publication of its newsletter, “Adirondack PEEKS” which is mailed to members.
1970 — The club published its second book, The Adirondack High Peaks and the Forty-Sixers. May 19, 1971 — Grace Hudowalski and current 46er president Glenn Fish meet with representatives of the State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to discuss the club’s proposals for conservation and education projects.
May 20 & 21, 1972 — Forty-Sixer volunteers participate in summit seeding projects on the summits of Algonquin, Wright and Colden, organized by Dr. Edwin Ketchledge (#507) , a botanist who studied trail erosion and the degradation of the alpine summits due to recreational use and developed methods to correct the ecological damage.
May 14, 1972 — The first 46er Wilderness Leadership Workshop is held a t Marcy Dam to provide youth group leaders with information on planning successful and environmentally responsible hiking and camping trips. Now called the Outdoor Skills Workshop and open to all hiking and camping enthusiasts, this annual event continues to be one of the club’s major educational programs.
Summer 1973 — Plastic litter bags designed and purchases by the 46ers are distributed at select trailheads for the first time to help alleviate litter issues in the High Peaks.
May 25, 1974 — Forty-Sixer volunteers participate in the DEC-sponsored “Clean-up Day” in the High Peaks to pack out litter found on the trails and around camp sites.
Summer 1977 — The first all-46er volunteer trail maintenance crew spends four days working on drainage to eliminate swampy sections of the Lake Arnold Crossover trail.
September 1978 — The club’s volunteer trail maintenance program is formalized and Jim Goodwin is appointed Trailmaster of the 46ers to coordinate the club’s trail improvement projects.
1985 — The club sponsors programs in conjunction with the state’s celebration of the 100th anniversary of the creation of the Forest Preserve.
1990 — The club extends recognition for those hikers who climb all of the 46 High Peaks in winter with a “W” after their climbing number and a specially designed winter rocker patch.
June 1991 — The club publishes its third book, Of the Summits, Of the Forests. September 1994 — The club celebrates its 46th anniversary.
1996 — The 46er trail maintenance program joins with the ADK and DEC to establish the Trailless Peaks Committee to develop a plan to establish sound and environmentally suitable paths on the trailless peaks and provide minimal maintenance to prevent further environmental damage
1996 — Grace Hudowalski retires as club historian, a position she has held since the club’s creation in 1949. A team of volunteers take over her duties, including hiker correspondence.